Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"My Love/Hate of Holidays"

(Written 1/3/11 by ChristopherK2 for the Uglier Marylanders Blog)

As many of you know, I was raised in a small town back in the era best captured by Norman Rockwell paintings. Each of the then holidays (this was before disgusting crap like President's Day) was celebrated by everyone I knew in pretty much the same way. And the more major the holiday, the more uniform was the celebration. This sameness is also part and parcel of tradition, and I'm nothing if not traditional. So, the holidays have long given me great comfort as they have come and gone over the decades.

But also, shit happens in life...

Valentine's Day--Long my fav holiday because it's all about romance. Hearts, flowers, candy... great stuff. It sucks somewhat if you're not IN a romantic relationship at the moment, but even then it's still a reminder of what can be and what once was.

But also... my dad died on Valentine's Day just before I turned 7. I still have no idea how Mom managed to raise me to believe so strongly in the positive values of the day. And yeah, of course, I still think about Dad then.

Memorial Day--A somber and bittersweet holiday for those my age. Everyone I knew had dads and/or uncles who served during World War II, and I had two aunts who served. Many of us lost one of them. My near-identical twin Uncle Mike died in the invasion of Normandy. I've written extensively about that on the AOL message boards, and still post something about it every Memorial Day.

And nearly everyone my age has close relatives whose graves have military markers. The first one I vividly remember was for one of my aunts, who received a full military burial. The haunting notes of "Taps" strongly affect me even now. And I still have the flag given to Mom after my brother's funeral...

Father's Day--A great holiday IF you still have a dad or are one. I was a stepfather for seven years and loved every Father's Day during that period. I still have and treasure the "World's Greatest Dad" ballpoint pens they gave me.

But also... my big brother... who was so important in my life... died on Father's Day at his age 56.

So, I now essentially try to pretend that holiday no longer exists.

July 4th--When I was a kid, this was mainly a neighborhood-by-neighborhood celebration. One of the neighbors would head south to buy a huge supply of "illegal" fireworks, we'd spend the evening setting off *real* fireworks, a friendly cop would stop by 'cause some anonymous sourpuss complained and the cop would tell us to "keep it down" then leave, and we'd start blasting away again. Great times, especially for guys, and it probably started my love of "blowing up stuff."

Later, the holiday became for me synonymous with the Beach Boys on The Mall in DC... great music, an unbelievable fireworks display up close, and 500,000+ of your closest friends.

But also... I was married on July 5th, which turned out to be a very bad idea after we split. Kinda somewhat ruined that holiday thereafter...

Thanksgiving and Christmas--I have tons of great memories of both of these holidays. But they are mainly for family, especially children. For a childless orphan with no siblings, great memories must often suffice.

New Year's Eve/Day--We guys love the college football games, of course, although spreading them out to include *other* days is just plain heresy. Harumph! As to NYE, I really don't have many memories of it one way or the other.

8 comments:

  1. Deb here. Chris that was a very nice article you wrote. I know how you feel about the holidays. I am glad that Thanksgiving and Christmas are over with since my Mom and Dad have passed away those dont mean so much to me anymore. Those 2 holidays were very oriented for me when I was a kid growing up. My mom would really go out for Christmas for decorating and all. I remember one year she bought 5 lbs. of chocolate drops. My sister and I ate about half of them and didn't want any dinner lol. Boy was my mom mad lol. If I put the tree up my cat lays up in it lol. Its really sad how you dont miss something until you dont have it anymore. At least I still have my memories of my childhood Thanksgivings and Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article Christopher. I remember as a child, my Father would go out and cut down a tree for each of us kids. He would put the trees on a large platform, and have a train running through them.
    Every Christmas morning without fail, we would run to our stockings, and my Father's stocking(old sock) would have switches in them where he had cut them off the tree. My Dad was all about the children. I thank God everyday for giving him to me as a Father. I truly am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a love/hate with the holidays myself in my early years and then in my early adulthood becos of things going on at the time. I fully understand what you're saying here as I got the family I wanted and needed so badly as I got older. I haven't taken a single moment lightly. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. << Chris that was a very nice article you wrote. >> Butterfly

    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

    << I am glad that Thanksgiving and Christmas are over with since my Mom and Dad have passed away those dont mean so much to me anymore. Those 2 holidays were very oriented for me when I was a kid growing up. >>

    I guess there are several periods of our lives when those holidays change noticeably. Young adulthood was an awkward for me. We were all adults in the family, and it just seemed more like joint birthdays or something other than Xmas. Ditto after I separated from my ex.

    << At least I still have my memories of my childhood Thanksgivings and Christmases. >>

    The same here, but I just wish I didn't have so many bad memories mixed in with the good ones for most of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. << Nice article Christopher. >> Red Sky

    Thanks!

    << My Dad was all about the children. I thank God everyday for giving him to me as a Father. I truly am blessed. >>

    Awwwwwwwwwwww, that's very nicely said, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. << Thanks for the article. >> OldRoomie

    And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    << I fully understand what you're saying here as I got the family I wanted and needed so badly as I got older. I haven't taken a single moment lightly. >>

    I guess my path has been just the opposite, although early on I expected it to be far different. I expected to grow old with a couple of generations of kids behind me to spoil rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Chris well adopt a zombie

    ReplyDelete
  8. << Awww Chris well adopt a zombie >>

    I'm still laughing hysterically at that one... thanks!

    That's partly because the possible responses are just too easy:

    "I'm out of flea dip."

    "No thanks, it'll just mindlessly repeat everything I say."

    "I can't stand using a pooper scooper."

    "I only accept house-broken pets."

    "What's the cost of getting a Zombie spayed or neutered?"

    "I'd rather have a dog. They're smarter."

    ReplyDelete

Don't be jealous of the Ugly's.