Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Today, I Remember"

"Today, I Remember"
(Posted to the Uglier Marylanders blog 5/30/11 by ChristopherK2)

[FYI, this is a "prayer poem" that I originally wrote for Memorial Day, 1997, and that I've since been posting somewhere on this very special holiday. A composite pic of me and my Uncle Mike appears below.]


To the soldiers who, like my Uncle Mike, gave their lives for our country:

Too often I forget about you, but today, I remember.
My thoughts are crowded with images of the Hell you confronted.
You fought those demons, and I am awed by the bravery you summoned.
Your blood was spilled in countless places, all now hallowed grounds.
You sacrificed yourself for us, and I am humbled by your deeds.
You left behind friends and family, who must be so very proud.
But there is a hole in their lives that cannot be filled.
No mere words can properly convey the feelings that I have, now.
But, from a grateful citizen, thank you.
May your souls rest in eternal peace.
And I pray that there is a special place in Heaven reserved for you.

And to my Uncle Mike, this much more:

Your life and death have touched so many, in ways that are still being tallied.
I pray that you, Grandma, Granddad, Helen, Hilda, Celia,
Dad, Mom, and David are together again.
The rest of us will join you, soon enough.
And then our family can be whole, again.

You died in a lonely battlefield in France, surrounded by unimaginable horror.
You were so alone then... how did you find the courage?
And how do I find it? Is it within me?
You are so much a part of me, and I can never forget you.
For every time I look in the mirror, I also see you.

But today is a special day.
I honor the memory of you with this writing.
I know that it is small, compared to the sacrifice that you made.
But, from a grateful citizen, thank you.
And from your nephew, thank you for what you gave me.
May your soul rest in eternal peace.

By Christopher

Copyright 5/26/97, 5/30/11

8 comments:

  1. Bet you Billy didn't serve

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does this have to do with Billy. This is an actual thoughtful thing and it has to be tainted by something that is totally unrelated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet you K2 did not either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing it Christopher.

    RedSkyBay

    ReplyDelete
  6. << Thanks Christopher >>
    << A wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing it Christopher. >> RedSky

    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Sorry for the delay in responding. I've had some computer challenges recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. << Bet you K2 did not [serve] either >>

    Check with the Zombie Head of Ops Research. That topic's been discussed many times already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be jealous of the Ugly's.