Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Tough Choice: Blu-Ray DVD or 180 MPH"

(Written 2/25/11 by ChristopherK2 for the Uglier Marylanders Blog)

I had ignored the bleatings from my debit card company about their "Relationship Rewards" program since I signed up for it a couple of years ago. I know I'm lousy at those freebies. I seldom get around to doing anything about a few bucks off on something I don't really want.

But one of their recent nagging reminders came along while I've been seriously thinking about buying a Blu-Ray DVD player. So I went to their site and found out that I've accumulated almost 25,000 "points." Being eternally a cynic, I figured that would buy me one of those uesless gadgets you see on late-night tv infomercials.

But I was darn near in shock to find out that I could buy a very nice Sony Blu-Ray player!

Giddy with buyer delight, I checked out the other types of "rewards." There were FREE dinners, weekends, gift cards, appliances, tools, and much much more. But then I noticed the "experiences" category and got hooked.

There, for just 20,000 points, was a long-time fantasy of mine: "Stock Car Racing Ride Along." I began salivating as I read along:

"Go Stock Car Racing on these amazing super speedway tracks. You will ride along with a professional for 3 exciting laps. Taken to speeds up to 180 mph by a professional driver, you'll experience the thrill of racing from the passenger seat of an authentic NEXTEL Cup Stock Car."

Holy Crap, Batman! 180!!! mph.

So now I'm in a quandary. The eminently practical Blu-Ray DVD Player *or* 180 MPH!!!

What would YOU choose?

Personally, I started procrastinating when I saw the "Fighter Pilot for a Day" item. For *just* 199,000 points, I can spend a whole day "engaged in a minimum of 6 air-to-air combats" in a REAL "light attack fighter"! That makes 180 mph seem like chump change!

And I could call myself a really cool Topgun nickname. I guess I could go the AOL Guy SN route with something like "BallsOfSteel" or "JustCallMeTomCruise." But I'm honest, so I'd more likely go with "WettingMyPants" or "PukedAllOverMyself"!

'course, I'll be about age 75 by the time I accumulate that many points. So maybe I should just plan on having engraved on my headstone: "Died at Mach 2 With a Big Grin."

10 comments:

  1. LOVED the post, I love a good funny article and you never fail me. BTW do you have a direct line into what I think? Oh well GMTA!

    You've got my vote...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb Here. Chris great article dear. I could see you now with a big grin on your face at the age of 75. Keep these wonderful articles coming. I always so enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  3. << LOVED the post, I love a good funny article and you never fail me. >> Old Roomie

    Thanks!

    << BTW do you have a direct line into what I think? >>

    I'm working on my master's in Jedi Mind Tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. << Chris great article dear. I could see you now with a big grin on your face at the age of 75. Keep these wonderful articles coming. I always so enjoy them. >> Deb

    Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Some of that was inspired by an article long ago in a car magazine. They tested an Air Force F-15 as if it were a car. The author's stories about the ride were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm we're not gonna read about you and the Air Froce F-15 now are we? Cos...if we are then I wanna be there when you do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. << Umm we're not gonna read about you and the Air Froce F-15 now are we? Cos...if we are then I wanna be there when you do... >> Old Roomie

    I suppose I could use, in general, a witness. More importantly, they might need help scraping me off of the inside of the jet and cleaning up all the stuff I expel from various bodily orifices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well count me in. Having a REAL medical background, (instead of that fake implied medical background like Roserhoser does...), I will happily collect all the pieces and glue them back together. That or we could just go hang out and crowd watch at a roomie gathering...much more fun....that or we would die of boredom...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several comments have been left for Zeeke's blog but he's too chickenshit to post them. Tells you a lot doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zeeke only posts the comments he writes himself on his blog. Bahaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete

Don't be jealous of the Ugly's.