Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Lifelong Friendships"

(Written 3/1/11 by ChristopherK2 for the Uglier Marylanders Blog)

As I pondered joining my fraternity 44 years ago, the phrase "Lifelong Friendships" barely even entered my thoughts. The brothers had heavily promoted it to us, but I was--like most 19-year-old guys living far from home--mulling over the much more important factors of beer, women, sports, parties, more women, etc.

But this past Saturday night, I was at my fraternity's annual dinner in Newark, DE after an absence of a few years. And after nearly a lifetime in it, the phrase now has great meaning to me.

I was always very involved in my fraternity beyond the parties and such. I met my first true love thru it... Cheryl. It gave me a good background for the job world. And I met so many good men. One of them is in the picture below on the right, with me, taken Saturday night.

Erv was a year younger, and from "lower, slower" Delaware. Despite our many differences, we became good friends. When I became President of the chapter, he was my treasurer and we both worked tirelessly at it. (He still calls me "my president," which always chokes me up a bit.) We worked closely together over the years on the fraternity including: attending a national convention in Vail, CO and regional ones (I was the District President); reforming the chapter when it had some serious problems; and serving on the house corporation to provide them with good housing and on the alumni association to raise funds.

We otherwise traveled entirely different paths in life. I was gallivanting all over the place looking for Idontknowwhat, while Erv stayed home in Delaware. He married his fraternity sweetheart, raised two wonderful kids, and established a good career in accounting. Erv has always been a good and decent man, and worked hard at life. That's the best thing I can say about another man.

Over the last couple of decades, he's been more closely-connected to the fraternity. But until a few years ago we've always gotten together at least a couple of times a year for fishing trips, golf, dinners, or just visits here and there.

And like Saturday night, we always catch up on family, the fraternity, each other, and much else. And we fondly recall the many memories we share...

For reasons I've never understood, I've always needed people in my life who can tell me I'm a good man despite whatever others say and whatever happens in my life. Within AOL World, for example, it's often been great women like Lady Exec and Ladyhawg (and even at one time, Beth). And until they died, it was Mom and my real brother.

But since I was 20, it's also always been Erv and a couple of the other fraternity brothers I've been privileged to know as "brothers in the bonds" who have served that role. I guess that's what "lifelong friendships" really mean and why my fraternity has always been so important to me...

7 comments:

  1. Thats wonderful. A truly inspring story. I have friends that I have known for 30-40 years and we still keep in touch, even though we are all over the country.
    It's a damn shame that these idiots in the chat room and the ones that come on here, preoccupied with body parts and sexual innuendo, that will never know true friendships like you and I have experienced.
    Glad to see someone else thinks the same way I do. Touche my friend...(smile)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb here. There is no way that anyone is never going to tell me Chris that you are a good man.
    You are and always will be in my book. I too have know many long friendships. One of my very closest friends I have know for 50 years and we still keep in touch. As a matter of fact she is my sister's sister in law. My other close friend, Earlene, I have known since our children were 5 and that has been 28 years. So I too have had some really close friends through good and bad times and I can Earlene for one I can count on anytime. She is my second sister. It is sad that some dont know what true friendships in the room are. Keep the wonderful articles coming Christopher. You Rock!!!!! Ps. I miss my Swami....

    ReplyDelete
  3. << Thats wonderful. A truly inspring story. >> OldRoomie

    Thanks!

    << I have friends that I have known for 30-40 years and we still keep in touch, even though we are all over the country... Glad to see someone else thinks the same way I do. Touche my friend...(smile)... >>

    The downside, Jan, is of course that to have friends for 30-40 years, you have to be OLD. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. << There is no way that anyone is never going to tell me Chris that you are a good man. You are and always will be in my book >> Deb

    Thanks Deb, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    << So I too have had some really close friends through good and bad times and I can Earlene for one I can count on anytime. >>

    I suspect that fraternity bonds are different than most, even other guy friendships. It's an important time for guys, and being that close and intense for several years seems to create special relationships. And the fraternity itself gives us a good reason to stay in touch over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. <>

    Ummm getting up there. I'm not that much younger than yah believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher, after reading this article I recall a quote by Nagarjuna.

    "A hero is born among a hundred, A wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might be found even among a hundred thousand men."

    You truly are an accomplished man Christopher. Thanks for all the great articles. Thanks for staying in the room even with all the grief that goes on. People in the room should feel honored to have a man with your qualities in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. << You truly are an accomplished man Christopher. Thanks for all the great articles. Thanks for staying in the room even with all the grief that goes on. People in the room should feel honored to have a man with your qualities in the room. >> RedSky

    I am deeply humbled by your compliment, darling. Thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be jealous of the Ugly's.